Captain Manson Leads Women's Soccer To Win

Photo by Josh Schaefer Photography
Photo by Josh Schaefer Photography

Fifth year centre back Meagan Manson scored a pair of goals to lead the University of Saskatchewan Huskies to a 4-2 victory over the University of Winnipeg Wesmen Sunday afternoon in Winnipeg.

Manson scored her first goal of the contest in extra time of the first half and netted her second of the game in the 65th minute. Erica Hindmarsh scored in the 70th minute. The Huskies first goal came on a own goal - charged to Winnipeg. 

Jamila Calvez (1st minute) and Danielle Comeau (46th minute) scored for the Wesmen.

Winnipeg hit the scoreboard before some of those in attendance even took their seats. Second year forward Jamila Calvez lifted a perfect shot over the head of Huskies goalkeeper Jadyn Steinhauer just 30 seconds into the game to give the Wesmen a 1-0 lead early on.

The Huskies got a gift in the 30th minute as Brooke Richtik directed the ball into her own net to tie the score at 1-1.

Manson scored her first goal of the contest in extra time of the opening half, taking a pass from Erica Hindmarsh and beating Wesmen goalkeeper Taylor Thorkelsson to make the score 2-1 heading into the halftime break.

Winnipeg struck early in the second half. Fourth year defender/midfielder Danielle Comeau took a feed from Clair Preston and put a perfect shot right under the crossbar to tie the score at 2-2.

After the Wesmen goal, the Huskies carried the play and were rewarded for their efforts.

Manson scored her second goal of the contest in the 65th minute and soon after Hindmarsh closed out the scoring in the 70th minute to make the final score 4-2.

Saskatchewan (2-2-0) finished the contest with 18 total shots, Winnipeg (1-2-1) had five.

Thorkelsson made eight saves, including six in the second half for Winnipeg. Steinhauer made two saves for the Huskies. 

Both teams will be on the road next week. Saskatchewan will play at MacEwan on Saturday and Mount Royal on Sunday. Winnipeg will play at Calgary on Saturday followed by a game in Lethbridge on Sunday.