Photo credit: Josh Schaefer Photography
Photo credit: Josh Schaefer Photography

LETHBRIDGE – Taking advantage of the blustery conditions, the Lethbridge Pronghorns scored twice in the second half to down the Saskatchewan Huskies 2-1 in Canada West women's soccer action.

Kim Shellenberg and Erica Augsten scored for the Pronghorns, while Rita Fetsch replied for the Huskies.

After winning only a single game last season, the win pushes the 'Horns record to 2-1-0 on the season, while the loss today is the Huskies first of the season, dropping their record to 2-1-0.

'Horns keeper Micaela Stone made nine saves in the win and her counterpart Cara Santaga made one save as only three of the 'Horns six shots on the day were on target.

With the wind howling out of the west, a premium was placed on short accurate passing but neither team was able to truly threaten in the opening 45 minutes.

The Huskies had two free kicks from around 30-yards out but the first was stopped easily by 'Horns keeper Micaela Stone and the second wrecked on the 'Horns wall. 'Horns midfielder Nikki Furukawa had a free kick in injury time but her shot sailed over the bar.

While the Huskies held a slight advantage in ball control and shots in the opening half, they were only able to register two shots on goal. The 'Horns were only able to attempt three shots in the half, none of which found the net.

The 'Horns did however hold a 3-1 advantage on corner kicks but could not capitalize.

The second half began the same as the first but the 'Horns finally broke through in the 61st minutes. From a free kick just outside of 20 yards, Furukawa curled the ball into the box and Shellenberg jumped on the cross, deflecting it past Huskie keeper Cara Santaga.

The Huskies nearly tied the game in the 75th minute. Erica Hindmarsh sprung Leesa Eggum in the'Horns box but Stone turned the shot away with a sliding challenge and a 'Horns defender was there to clear the rebound away from harms way.

With the Huskies still pushing forward, Fetsch tied the score in 78th minute, turning past a defender in the box and her shot to left went off the hands of Stone and into the net.

Right off the restart, 'Horns Erica Augsten wind aided long range ball from just past centre, bounced over the head of Huskie keeper Santaga and in, restoring the 'Horns lead, 2-1.

The Huskies continued to press, earning a pair of late corners but could not capitalize. The First one was especially dangerous, with the ball pin balling around the box, but Stone was able to get her hands on it and put an end to the Huskies attack.

The 'Horns will host the Regina Cougars tomorrow afternoon, kick-off is set for 12:00pm at the University Community Stadium. The Huskies will travel to Calgary to face the Calgary Dinos.