EDMONTON – The University of Saskatchewan Huskies track & field teams had strong results at the University of Alberta-hosted Panda Open on the weekend.
The Saskatchewan women placed first in the team competition with 89 points, while the men were fourth with 39 points.
Saskatchewan brought home seven first place finishes including:
- Julie Labach 600m and 1000m
- Olena Olenick Shot Put and Weight Throw
- Brendan Ritchie Heptathlon
- Women's 4x800m (Kellie Onda-Inglis, Courtney Hufsmith, Lindsay Balezantis, Julie Labach) – Achieved USports Auto Standard
- Men's 4x200m (Ryan Botterill, Kieran Johnston, Jacob Murphy, Landon Gill)
Three Huskie competitors made U SPORTS standard to qualify for the national championship. The group included: the women's 4X800-metre relay team, Leadan Chartier (pole vault) and Katelyn Lehner (60-metre hurdles).
It was the final meet before the Canada West Championship hosted by the Golden Bears-Pandas February 23-24.