Huskies Finish Off Weekend Series With Bisons

Photo Credit: Josh Schaefer Photography
Photo Credit: Josh Schaefer Photography

Written by Lauren Hollins

WINNIPEG - In their last home game before the new year, the Bison men's hockey team played their second game of the weekend against the #3 Saskatchewan Huskies at the Wayne Fleming Arena on Saturday, November 21.

The game moved quickly back and forth between ends, but the Huskies were the team that came out on the top, with a 4-3 win over the Bisons. With tonight's loss the Bisons' record drops to 5-7-1 and now on a four game conference losing streak, while the Huskies move up in their conference-leading 12-2. The Huskies swept the weekend series after a 6-3 road victory on Friday.

"The effort was there, the execution was there, the unfortunately we couldn't find a way to get the puck in the net. It's a tough loss for us," says Bisons' head coach Mike Sirant.

In a spirited game, Saskatchewan found the game-winner late in the third as they were nursing a 3-2 lead. Huskies' forward Levi Cable had a couple cracks from the slot to beat Bison netminder Justin Paulic.

The Huskies dominated the play in the third period, with much of the play happening in front of the Bisons' net. The home team had some good goal opportunities towards the end with a few puck scrambles in front of Huskies' goalie Jordon Cooke, but couldn't manage to get the puck past Cooke.

The Bisons succeeded in getting close again for the third time this game when Shaq Merasty scored at the end with only 1:44 left on the clock. The goal was assisted by Justin Augert and Zach Waldvogel.

The Bisons pulled their goalie in the last minute of play before the Huskies called a one minute timeout with only ten seconds to go in the game and iced away the game.

Earlier in the game, with 6:53 into the first period, the visitors were the first team to score when Cameron Blair scored the first goal of the game, assisted by Jordan Fransoo.

The Bisons were quick to keep up with the score. Manitoba 's Jesse Paradis scored a goal assisted by team co-captain Jordan DePape a couple of minutes following the Huskies' first goal.

Bisons' took the lead defenceman and only lead in the contest) when Rene Hunter scored an unassisted goal with a highlight reel tally as he moved in from the point position and deked out a defender and then roofed the puck top shelf on Cooke with 4:40 left in the first period, one-upping the Huskies 2-1.

The second period picked up in speed and intensity, with the action consistently going back and forth between ends.

Kohl Bauml tied up the game with a power play goal and assisted by Jesse Forsberg. The Huskies powered through with another goal by Parker Thomas, assisted by Tyler Borstmayer and John Lawrence at 17:39 into the second period, and moving the lead at 3-2 after 40 minutes of play before the exciting conclusion of the game in the third.

The Huskies outshot the Bisons 36-28.

To finish off the first half of the conference season, Saskatchewan goes bak home to host Mount Royal on November 27-28 weekend while Manitoba goes on the road to play at Regina on November 26-27.