Game Date: Friday, September 18, 2015, 7pm
Game Location: Griffiths Stadium in PotashCorp Park
Live Television Broadcast: SHAW TV
Live Radio Broadcast: CJWW,www.cjwwradio.com
Live Stats/ Live Webcast: canadawest.tv
The University of Saskatchewan Huskies look to get into the win column in a meeting with provincial rival, the Regina Rams Friday night in Saskatoon.
Kickoff is 7 p.m. local time on Friday. The game can be watched live on Shaw Cable. It is also available live on CJWW at www.cjwwradio.com or via webcast at canadawest.tv.
- Saskatchewan is 0-2 for the first time since 2002. In that season the Huskies finished 4-4 and advanced to the Vanier Cup. The Huskies lost to Saint Mary's University in the championship.
- Neither team holds a spot in the CIS Top 10.
- It will be the first visit to Griffiths Stadium as head coach for the Rams' Mike Gibson.
- The Regina Rams have the top defensive unit in the Canada West giving up only 399 yards per game.
- Saskatchewan has won three straight regular season meetings with the Rams.
- At Friday's game, the Huskies will Support Our Troops for the sixth straight season. The pregame ceremony will include a colour guard, a moment of silence, a flyover, a ceremonial coin toss and kickoff. The Huskies' traditional pregame flag plant and raising will honour the contributions of our Canadian Forces. Postgame fans are treated to special fireworks dedicated to the Canadian Forces.
- Inside the Wyant Group Rally Alley for fans and supporters, as well as military personnel and their families, live entertainment will be on tap. The event will be hosted by the Saskatoon Chamber of Commerce with all proceeds of the event going toward the Soldier On Fund.
- Gainer the Gopher visits this week in the Wyant Group Huskie Rally Alley
Including playoffs, the Huskies are 23-8 against the Rams since 2001. Saskatchewan has won a three straight meetings between the two teams including a 21-16 win last season in Regina. The Rams last win in the series came in the 2012 Canada West semifinal in Regina.
UNIVERSITY OF REGINA RAMS (0-2)
The University of Regina Rams enter Friday's contest with an 0-2 record after a pair of tough losses.
Last week the Rams fell 27-20 on the road against the UBC Thunderbirds. Regina lost starting quarterback Noah Picton in the game, but nearly completed a second half comeback if not for a last minute interception.
Taylor Vieira did an admirable job filling in for the injured Picton, throwing for 286 yards and two touchdowns while almost leading the Rams to a come from behind win. Atlee Simon had a stellar game on the ground with 207 yards on 28 carries. Mitch Thompson hauled in seven passes for 127 yards and caught both Vieira touchdowns. The high-powered Rams offense is averaging 547 yards per game, second best in the Canada West.
UNIVERSITY OF SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES (0-2)
After getting out to early leads in their first two games, the University of Saskatchewan Huskies look to finish strong against the Rams.
The Huskies let an 18-0 halftime lead slip away last weekend against Alberta, falling to the Bears 38-26.
Huskie quarterback Drew Burko leads the conference in passing yards averaging 325.5 yards per game. The 2014 conference passing touchdown leader has just one touchdown pass after throwing 21 a season ago. Burko's top target, Mitch Hillis, is tied for the most receptions through two games with 19 for 213 yards. On the ground, Tyler Chow leads the way for the green and white with 237 rushing yards. The Huskie offence is just 3-for-11 scoring touchdowns in the red zone.